Sunday

The Palm Tree has gone to the birds.. Or rather the "Bees"



 
For the past few days I've been recuperating  from an endoscopic procedure used to place a expandable mesh tube, in an obstructed area of my digestive tract and also a biopsy of the stomach. It was just an all day thing in the hospital but I'll tell you I was not a happy camper the first two days.   All the way from my throat to my stomach hurt with each swallow. Today I'm feeling so much better and can now eat soft foods, and took myself out to sit in the sun. After all the rain we have had this week Mr. Sun thought he better come out to get me feeling better.
While out back I checked on the palm tree that I've been watching for the past two weeks.  At first I thought it was sick because it had a 'sap' of sorts dripping from it.  Palm trees do not drip sap so after asking a Tree Doctor he said it looks like "honey"... and said be careful, there might be a rather large hive in the tree with as many as 10 to 40 thousand  Honey bees!
Yiikes!


I tried to get a shot of the trunk but the sun was much too bright. You can see globs of honey dripping.  Today I did notice loads of little specks (bees) flying all around the tree.


I took the best photos I could and cropped and re-sized them in PicMonkey.  You may be able to see the honey dripping down the trunk.  The tree guy said we need to call a Bee Doctor as Florida is famous for large hives in the most unusual places.. and the bees may get angry and be dangerous.  The Bee Keeper must get up there in their white hooded uniform and take the bees away alive.  I was also told to not go back there until this is done.  Guess we had better warn our neighbors children who play next door.
I'll try to get some photos of the Bee Doctor doing his work, it might be fun to watch.  Thankfully I have the perfect spot from behind the sliding glass doors of my upstairs room.  I'm also going to ask the Bee Doctor if I can have the Honey Comb... that would be wonderful to get all that honey.

While I was out there I spotted this beautiful guy just sitting on a low branch of the Oak tree watching me.  I quickly snapped a photo and he was gone.. sorry for the quality.  It's a large Osprey and I bet he/she was looking for lunch.


Speaking of lunch, let me go find something soft, yogurt maybe.  It still is very uncomfortable down in my stomach.  
It's not happy!


"Enjoy your beautiful week Everyone"

I'm linking up to







6 comments:

Laurel Stephens said...

The honey dripping from your palm tree is one of the weirdest and interesting things I've ever seen. I can't imagine what those bees are thinking wasting all that honey! All joking aside, though, it sounds really dangerous. I, for one, would love to hear what the outcome is with the bee people. Thanks for sharing this strange phenomenon, and I hope you're feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

WOW so much honey, I wonder why its dripping, bees usually know their work! LOVE you Sis

Barb said...

Your very own honey tree! I would love to watch the process of removing the bees...do share!

Stopping by from the Tuesday Garden Party. Hope you feel better really soon too!

Sally @DrinkingFromMySaucer said...

Oh my! Be careful -- and take care of yourself. I hope you'll be feeling back to yourself soon.

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

That is strange! We have a friend who is a bee person and we know quite a few people this spring that have had problems with bee hives!

Blondie's Journal said...

This is amazing...a problem I guess if you get stung! I can see the honey dripping, you must have a lot of bees. Let us know what happens.

I hope you are feeling well soon. I am visiting from Fishtail Cottage!

XO,
Jane