Saturday

It's "St. Patricks Day" weekend....

So many of us like to think were a bit Irish during this time of year and I can honestly say I'm half Irish.  I'd like to introduce you to my grandparents, my moms mother and father.  We kids called him "Daddy Tom" because our father was away with the Coast Guard most of the time and Daddy Tom stepped in a lot when we needed a father figure.  The photo is of
"Thomas Patrick Murray" and his wife "Cora"
my grandmother, dated 1919.  Daddy Tom served in the USCG and retired after 30 years of service.
Today I cooked my "Corned Beef and Cabbage" in honor of this wonderful couple.
I have cooked this cut of beef each year (even though I don't eat meat) because it's the only way I have left to honor them.  If you notice I put a green apple into the water along with the usual spices and veggies, while the meat is cooking.  It was their way and the meat takes on the most wonderful flavor by doing so.


I'd like to wish everyone a wonderful 
"St. Patricks Day" and may your life be filled with the 
"Luck of the Irish"

(((Hugs)))

Linking this post to
Sunny Simple Sunday 


4 comments:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I've never heard of putting an apple in there. Your meal looks delicious! What a nice tradition.

Pondside said...

Mmmmm that looks good! Your grandparents were a handsome young couple!

Sherry at The Rusty Pearl said...

I love the apple TIP .. SOOOOOOOOO GOING TO DO THIS !!! And a big ol IRISH blessing your way too my sweet friend... Hope that you get all your clover wishes... HUGS

Something Nice and Pretty said...

My mother's maternal grandparents came from County Downe, Ireland, I really wish I had got the recipe for her corn beef and cabbage it was so good!