Tuesday

"The Freeze of 2010 in Clearwater, Florida"

Saint Francis of Assisi (Giovanni Francesco di Bernardone; 1181/1182 – October 3, 1226)[2] was a Catholic deacon and the founder of the Order of Friars Minor, more commonly known as the Franciscans.

He is known as the patron saint of animals, the environment and one of the two patrons of Italy (with Catherine of Siena), and it is customary for Catholic churches to hold ceremonies blessing animals on his feast day.



I put 'St Francis' in my yard to protect all the critters that live here. There is a creek at the back of my properity and it is call 'Alligator Creek', yes, there are many Alligators that live in there, along with a large assortment of different animals. The yard is registered with 'The National Wildlife Fedeation' as an animal habitat.  No chemicals of any sort is used in my yard!








Today was a good day. Florida is finially 'warming up'.
For the first time in two weeks, I walked my yard.. Saints behold, the Sun was out and the temperature reacahed 54'.
Although there is damage to many of my 'tropical plants' I do believe they will come back...


Many of my banana trees are burnt from frost and I may have lost this years crop. They will produce baby trees that will sprout from the ground, as soon as the air warms the earth below.





The 'Ginger' flowers are very burnt from the freeze. Although they may be  lost for the year, they will be cut to the ground only to come back later in the summer.





Now my 'Trumpet Flower Tree" almost made me cry. I'm afraid it's beyond hope. It may have to be replaced with a new plant.
The flowers are so large and beautiful. After a few week, maybe, maybe, we will see?





My former home was in 'Central Illinois' and I always knew, when winter came, every annual would die. The perennials would go dorment until spring. But, here in Florida, the growing season begins in the fall, when the weather cools off.




This is the first time in the 6 years living here I witnessed a 'hard freeze'. So many of the 'farmers' have lost their crop and I fear the price of vegetables and fruit will increase in the groceries stores. We all will pay higher prices. Also, news reports today are telling of 'sink holes' popping up all around the 'Tampa Bay' area.. The farmers had to pump so much water during the nights to keep the fruit from freezing only to leave huge holes in the ground, from taking the water... reports are, homes falling into the holes.. quite a mess the freeze of "2010" has made.

No comments: