Wednesday

"I finially figured out how to make a good loaf of Bread"

 Yes, for years I've been trying to 'bake bread,' without success!

So many loaves went to the birds.... I've bought bread makers and tried so many recipes, and then
my 26 year old daughter gave me this wonderful recipe, and know what..it worked..




I found all it takes is a little bit of ingredients and my hands to do the kneading and "Gina,'s recipe"..
For all who would like to give it a try... Toss those bread machines, and the thoughts that it will be
hard. You will be as proud as I have been with each loaf!
Let me give you the ingredients first.
1/2 c warm water
1/2 c warm milk
1 egg
1/3 c melted butter
1/3 c sugar (we will talk about the sugar later)
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 3/4 c bread flour (this is a must, not all purpose)
1 pk dry yeast (stored in the pantry not frig)



put the yeast in the warm water and 1 tbl spoon sugar.. tap water warm, not micro!
in one bowl beat the egg with the sugar,, now the sugar is for a bit of sweetness and if
you want, as I do, I only use half the amount. Let the yeast foam, about 10 min.
Add the yeast moisture to the egg, sugar, melted butter.. stir just a bit.
Then in another bowl, the flour and the salt.... gently, with a fork, mix the dry into the wet
until it's mixed... then flour the counter top and invert the bowl on the flour.. now it's time to
use your hands...You may use about 1/8th c more flour to kneed, if needed to prevent sticking
to the counter.
Kneed for about 10 full minutes.... make a ball and put in a greased bowl.. cover with
plastic wrap and a kitchen towel... set on top of your stove for about an hour... take a peek
now and then to watch it grow!



Then put on floured surface and cut in two.. shape loaves and put on a greased baking sheet
and cover again with plastic wrap and the kitchen towel... Wait another hour for it to rise
again. I use whipped egg to brush on the top before baking.. but this loaf, today I used
'Olive Oil" because I put in the dough an assortment of herbs. Now bake at 350' for about
35 minutes... Tap on the loaf to know if it's done. Will sound hollow and will be a very light brown in color....







As I said, in this loaf, I diced tiny sprigs of fresh rosemary, oregano, basil and garlic.. tiny tiny, then put
in the flour mixture before adding to the wet mixture...You can change the flavor of the bread recipe
by adding more sugar, or less depending... If you put more sugar you will get the 'Hawaiian' flavor,, less
more like 'french bread'.... this one is Italian flavor... have fun with this recipe. This is a good week to
bake, since we all are in a 'cold wave' across the country. Enjoy!


Look how the two loaves rose while sitting on the top of the stove.this was the second 'rising'. Took about an hour.. seeing this makes you feel good!
Whoohoo "It worked"!











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! There's nothing quite like homemade bread. Oh so yummy!